Congratulations on your engagement! Your wedding day will be a very special day for you, and we want to help you prepare for it as well as we can. We also want to help you prepare not just for the special day, but for your entire married life together. Marriage is a sacrament in the Catholic Church. It is not only a very special moment for the two of you; it is also a sacred event for all of us.
We need at least six to nine months time to prepare for your Sacrament of Matrimony. One of you, or your parents, must be registered members of Christ the Redeemer Church. If you are newcomers to the parish, you are expected to be registered to become active members of the Parish for at least six months before the scheduled wedding. We also encourage you to introduce yourself to the clergy and discuss your plans for marriage.
The first step in preparing for your Sacrament of Matrimony is to contact the Director of Family Life Ministry for a initial interview and schedule you to attend an Engaged Couple Orientation. Once you have attended this, the clergy and Family Life Ministry will guide you through the preparation process.
Wedding are celebrated on Saturday at 11am, 2pm or 7:00pm. Before your wedding ceremony date can be set, you must attend the Engaged Couple Orientation and meet with the Priest/Deacon that will preside over your ceremony.
Engaged Couple Orientation for the Sacrament of Marriage
This Sacramental preparation is open to all those planning a wedding. We will explore the ceremony itself and offer information including: our guidelines, appropriate musical choices, and various options to choose that are appropriate to the theology of marriage and the celebration. Musicians will be available for you to hear as well as our Wedding Co-coordinator who will be with you throughout each step of your wedding day. Contact Margaret Carnicle for more information; 281-469-5533 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Preparing for the Sacrament of Matrimony Check List
This check list is to assist you in remembering the many details associated with the liturgy itself. While there are many more tasks and things that require your attention, we hope that you will place preparing for the liturgy (the ceremony itself) as a high priority.
Weddings are celebrated on Saturday at 11am, 2pm or 7:00pm. Before your wedding ceremony date can be set, you must attend the Engaged Couple Orientation and meet with the Priest/Deacon who will preside over your ceremony.
9 MONTHS BEFORE THE CEREMONY Or as soon as you have set a date)
Contact Family Life Minister for Initial Interview [Margaret Carnicle; 281-469-5533 or email@example.com]
Attend an Engaged Couples’ Orientation.
Theology of Marriage
- Discuss Marriage Preparation
Meet with Family Life Minister
- Decide Marriage Preparation
- Take FOCCUS Inventory
- Set Wedding Date-Saturdays-11am, 2pm or 7:00pm
- Set a rehearsal time.
- Submit Non-Refundable Deposit-$250
Meet with the priest/Deacon that will witness the wedding
- Review FOCCUS
Begin Marriage Preparation Program
- Sponsor Couple / Engaged Encounter / Other
- Attend Natural Family Planning Classes: Classes are scheduled here at CtR and other parishes around the Archdiocese.
3 MONTHS BEFORE THE CEREMONY
(Choose people to assist with the Liturgy itself)
Call Music Minister for preliminary phone interview
Set appointment with Music Minister to plan Wedding Liturgy
- This far in advance of the wedding, you and your fiancé should be thinking about what kind of instrumentation you are hoping for the ceremony. Do you like the sound of strings? Of trumpets? A flute? A Harp? These decisions should be made first. The Music Minister will assist you in finding personnel. Please do not contract the services of any musicians without the prior consent of the Music Minister. When you have made this decision or if you have questions, contact the Music Minister.
Choose the scriptures that will be read at the ceremony and prayers to be included
Decide on the Following:
- Ushers (1 usher is needed for every 50 INVITED guests)
- Readers (1 reader for each reading and they do not have to be Catholic, But should be able to read comfortably in public)
- Cross bearers
- Candle lighters (if different from the ushers)
- Gift bearers
- Greeters (people who would simply stand at the doors of the church, distribute worship aides if applicable, and welcome he guests)
- Florists (contact wedding coordinator for questions when making arrangements)
- Photographer/Video (contact wedding coordinator for questions when making arrangements
2 MONTHS BEFORE THE CEREMONY
- Begin memorizing the vows
- Finalize all arrangements with the florist, the photographer, videographer, etc .
- Prepare Worship Aid
- Confirm Rehearsal Time: Contact Wedding Coordinator
1 MONTH BEFORE THE CEREMONY
- Final Meeting with Priest or Deacon
- Confirm with all ushers, readers, greeters, etc. and remind them of the time of the rehearsal
- Prepare the Prayers of the Faithful (intercessions)
- Memorize Vows
1 WEEK BEFORE THE CEREMONY
- Remind everyone participating in the ceremony of the rehearsal.
- *Musician fees’ due
- Relax! Everything should now be ready
- *Final fees and stipends due
STIPENDS AND OFFERINGS
- NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT: $250.00
- FOR THE USE OF THE CHURCH: $750.00
- FOR THE MUSIC: The fees are $185 for the Cantor and $185 for the organist. Additional fees apply for additional music services.
- FOR THE PRIEST or DEACON: It is customary to give the Priest or Deacon a monetary gift.
- FOR THE ALTAR SERVERS: It is customary to give the Altar Servers a monetary gift