Suffering and illness have always been among the greatest problems that trouble the human spirit. The Lord himself showed great concern for the bodily and spiritual welfare of the sick and commanded his followers to do likewise.
The sacrament should be requested as soon as a serious illness is apparent. It should not be delayed, particularly to the moment of death.
The sacrament of the sick may be celebrated:
- With those whose health is seriously impaired by sickness or old age.
- Before surgery, if the surgery is caused by a serious illness
- With elderly people who have become notably weakened
- With seriously ill children who have sufficient use of reason to be strengthened by the sacrament
- With those who are judged to have a serious mental illness
- With those who are unconscious or who have lost the use or reason if there is probability they would have asked for the sacrament when they were in control of their faculties
Communal Mass for the celebration of the Anointing of the Sick, 7:00pm the last Wednesday of the month.